Afternoon Tea, Hamley's, a Michelin Star, and a Trip to Palava

I lied about a Harry Potter post because I took too many pictures to upload as I ride the train from Inverness to Edinburgh. So instead! We'll start with a trip to Hamley's, a seven-story toystore with a different theme on each floor, from stuffed animals to Legos. It was a kid wonderland, with the employees singing and dancing and even playing with the toys to show them off.



 Elowen got some Sylvanian Family squirrels as a souvenir, and I got lots of photo opps (my fave). She especially loved the giant bears, who got hearty Elowen hugs. 

After Hamley's, Taylor took Elowen to eat seafood while the girls and I went to tea at Sketch, which has definitely been on my travel bucket list for a while. The tearoom is housed in townhome built in 1779, and it also served at one point as Christian Dior's London Atelier. 

We had savory sandwiches, including a croque madame, coronation chicken salad (curry, sad surprise), cucumber and cream cheese, and salmon and dill (I think, I didn't try that one). The tower was refillable so I made the foolish decision of eating many tiny sandwiches before moving on to the desserts--which were raspberry and vanilla Battenburg cake, a lemon tart, an apricot eclair, a red currant and chocolate macaron, peach cheesecake, a cherry Victoria sponge cake, and a strawberry marshmallow. There was also this tiny pasty puff filled with warm Emmentaler cheese that was a delight. 

A string trio set up to play while everyone dined, and it's certainly something I want to do with Elowen when she's older. 

Also the bathroom is made up of pods, so I creepily took pictures (but it's okay, everyone was taking pictures).


I then took a blissful solo taxi ride to Palava, one of my favorite vintage-style brands. It only has the one location and makes small batches of its beautifully designed, well-made dresses in quirky prints. Beforehand, I had emailed them everything I wanted to try on so they had it all ready, along with more biscuits and tea (no room for that, I could barely zip the dresses!). 

I even met the designer, Bryony, and it was so special to see the small back room where her visions come to life. 


I told myself I would buy two, bought four, and then headed back to the group for dinner at Locanda Locatelli, a one-star Michelin restaurant featuring Italian dishes. Honestly, it wasn't anything special--I had burrata over roasted vegetables and tortelli en brodo. The dessert was delicious, at least...Taylor's was a lemon concoction and I got chocolate presented in various forms, with apricot jam. 

Elowen enjoying her marshmallow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Magic in London, Part One

First Day in Malta

Otherworldly Magic in the Puzzlewood and a Visit to Hereford